• Author of Miracle Boy Grows Up: How the Disability Rights Revolution Saved My Sanity (Skyhorse: 2012) and the upcoming In Sickness and In Health: Love, Disability, and a Quest to Understand the Perils and Pleasures of Inter-abled Romance (Beacon Press: 2018)
• Contributor to Financial Advisor magazine
• Occasional commentator for The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR's "Morning Edition," CNN.com, Los Angeles Times, Vox Media, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Newsweek, and Self magazine
• Former contributing editor for Institutional Investor and the late Windows in Financial Services, Dealmaker, Buyside, and Individual Investor magazines
• Additional credits: The Mark Taper Forum, Blonde and Brunette Productions, and the children's television program Biker Mice From Mars
• Personal details: born in New York City in 1962, graduated cum laude from Harvard University in 1984, lives in L.A. with his wife, two daughters, a cat, and a turtle.
WRITING & EDITING EXPERIENCE
Financial Advisor… (2010-present)
Propose story ideas, generate leads, research, and write a broad spectrum of articles of interest to financial planners, estate lawyers, CPAs, and others in the industry. Identify relevant sources and conduct phone and e-mail interviews with financial advisors nationwide. Extensive coverage of long-term care, annuities, and insurance. Cover story profiling the nation's top independent advisory firm.
Institutional Investor …(1997-2016)
Research and write a wide variety of features. Conduct telephone interviews with and write profiles of sell-side and buy-side securities analysts across the U.S., U.K., Continental Europe, Asia and Latin America for the magazine's All-America Research Team and other rankings.
Write market overviews and profiles of securities-research departments, including cover stories, with biographies of principals and "best buy" lists.
On Investing …(1999-2002)
Propose, research and write cover stories and other features for this quarterly produced by Bloomberg for Charles Schwab clients.
Thomson Reuters/Multex.com …(1997-2002)
Generate ideas and write stock profiles and other articles on an increasingly frequent basis, ultimately weekly, for this online newsletter and database for individual investors.
Capital Group Companies …(2000-2001)
Part-time Web Module Writer
Write content for retirement-planning tax modules and asset allocation modules for the web sites of Capital Research and Management and Capital International Asset Management, respectively.
Individual Investor …(1999-2001)
Write cover stories, stock profiles and how-to features for this consumer monthly. Take assignments and propose story ideas.
Other Free-lance Writing and Editing …(1984-present)
(details upon request)
Create general-interest and specialty articles for print and online, op-ed pieces, TV scripts.
Harvard University …(1984)
A.B., Cum Laude. Major: Social Studies, an interdisciplinary honors concentration. Dean's List. Honorary John Harvard Scholarship. Student government.
Personal appearances on ABC's Prime Time Live, CNN, E! Entertainment Network, NPR's "Morning Edition," KFI and KPFK, Los Angeles, and KSLC, Salt Lake City. Quoted in The Wall Street Journal, U.S. News & World Report, and USA Today. Member Authors Guild of America. Personal: married, two children; interests include computers, books (reading & writing), film.
Writing samples linked at left. Other information upon request.